Monday, July 18, 2011

Things I have learned since becoming a parent

There are some days I wish that my son or daughter came with an instruction manual, but that would make things far to easy. Nope, no instruction manuals here. However, what you do have are a ton of books on how to raise a child. None of which can really, truly prepare you for your little bundle of joy. Do you know why they can't prepare you? The answer is simple: each child is completely different. Now don't get me wrong these books have amazing tips and advice that you can use. Me personally, I just wouldn't go out and spend hundreds of dollars on these books when you can find the same advice and tips on the internet for free! Okay, so you've got me. I do have some books on how to raise your children: The Happiest Baby on the Block and the Happiest Toddler on the Block. I also read What to Expect When You are Expecting and a couple other maternity books while I was pregnant.

As I said, no book or manual can truly prepare for what is ahead for a first time mom. It's all on the job training, and man is it tough. Sure you can ask your family members or friends who have kids how to handle certain situations, but alas it may not work for you.

My son and daughter, only being less then a year apart are completely different.
With Kyle, he was laid back and didn't need a lot of attention. Sariah, not so laid back and likes being held all the time.
Kyle never had an issue with gas. Sariah, man that girl could clear a room with some of her not so little gas bubbles of love.
Kyle wasn't a bottomless pit. Sariah = bottomless pit (no wonder why she has so much gas and poop!)
Anyway, you get the idea. Each child is different.

So here are the things I have learned as a parent:

1) You can expect to be peed on, at least once if not more. This happens more often with boys then girls.
2) You can almost bet that there will be a time or two that as soon as you change the diaper your son or daughter will poop.
3) Bath time can be fun for both you and your child or it can be a dreaded time.
4) "No" will probably become a word that is used often in your house.
5) When it comes to gifts, your young toddler will probably like the wrapping paper or gift bag that it came in more then the actual gift.
6) Teething is no fun
7) Nap times / bedtimes can be some what of a pain in butt, especially if your child is overly tired and doesn't want to lay down.
8) Do not expect privacy in the bathroom anymore.
9) Yes your child will shut themselves in a room, may even lock themselves in that room
10) All children will test your limits just to see how much they can get away with.
11) Your child can sense your mood.
12) Simple / quick trips to the store are not longer simple, quick trips.
13) Your child will fall off your bed or couch at least once, it not more then once. This will lead to bumps and bruises, but don't worry it happens to even the best parents.
14) Sometimes you just have to let them cry it out. This one can be tough, you want to make sure you know the reason why they are crying. Before ignoring the crying make sure they aren't tired, hungry or wet.
15) Everything will go in their mouth, edible or not.
16) Once mobile they want to check out everything. Curiosity is an amazing thing.

You know I could go on and on with my list. But most of all what I have learned is patience and understanding. My son who is now 1 loves to explore the apartment and get into things he isn't suppose to. There are days when I want to pull out my hair or just let him run wild, but you know he truly is a blessing and I am glad that I am here to teach him what is right and wrong and watch him learn.And my daughter, well she may not always be a bundle of joy but I do love her and an exciting to see how she blossoms into a beautiful, well behaved toddler (I kid I kid).

Take care and may you always remember to Live, Laugh and Love.

1 comment:

  1. On crying it out -- My girl had to do that today. We were driving home from the airport, about 45 minutes, and nothing made her happy: not music, my singing, my talking, stopping for a bit, feeding, playing talk radio... nothing. So she cried. She survived and seemed none worse for the wear when we got home. Thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete